Gallery Operations Internship
June 10th to August 16th, 2010
(supported by a grant from the Getty Foundation)
The intern will be engaged in all stages of producing Machine Project events and workshops on a weekly basis. The intern will also publish content to the Machine Project website, as well as be responsible for uploading new content to our profiles on media sharing and social networking sites like Facebook and Flickr. Specific tasks include:
– Providing general support to Machine Staff in daily tasks, including but not limited to gallery organization and administration, research, exhibition installation, event production and promotion.
– Working hands-on with artists, instructors and staff to coordinate the logistics of Machine Project’s summer programming, including performances, classes, and Artist Residencies.
– Being present as a gallery representative for all events and workshops that are assigned to them.
– Helping artist Joshua Beckman with installing and promoting our September exhibition, “Sinking Ship”, a life-size sculpture of a ship sinking into Machine Project’s gallery floor.
– Learning to use WordPress, MailChimp, and specialized database programs to update the www.m.loc/engine website, email list and donor database.
– Becoming familiar with the artists, performers, and other arts organizations Machine works with to facilitate the collection of raw material for updating the website.
– Running errands, helping clean and organize the gallery, filing, and other day-to-day office stuff.
Throughout the internship period, the intern will be required to interact with exhibiting artists and performers
and be available to help produce and install events and exhibits alongside Machine Project staff. The intern
will be encouraged to attend all events and exhibitions, as both a participant and audience member.
HOW TO APPLY:
If you’re interested and eligible, email firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, April 30th, 2010 with:
1) a cover letter and your resume (mandatory)
2) a link to your recent favorite YouTube clip (optional)
Previous summer intern Ellie, tending to a fireless campfire she built for a Machine Project installation at Santa Monica’s GLOW Festival.