– Providing general support to the Executive Director and Operations Manager in daily tasks, including but not limited to gallery organization and administration, exhibition installation, event production and promotion.
– Documenting events and exhibitions using video, audio, and photographic equipment for future publishing on the Machine Project website.
– Working hands-on with artists and staff to coordinate the logistics of Machine Project’s summer programming, including participation in the GLOW festival in Santa Monica, performances, classes, and Artist Residencies.
– Learning to use WordPress, Dada, and specialized database programs to update the www.machineproject.com website, email list and donor database.
– Providing support for visiting instructors who will be teaching classes and workshops over the summer; intern may participate as a teaching assistant when appropriate and be able to attend classes as an additional student if desired.
– Learning to use Adobe InDesign to produce the Machine Project Yearbook (a printed volume of text and images documenting all Machine events in the past year) and the Machine Project Omnibus (a new publication that will collect text, images, and testimonials describing the first 5 years of Machine Project’s operations into an artist’s book). Intern will receive training in the functions of Adobe InDesign required for the production of these volumes, with additional training in Adobe Photoshop if needed.
– Working with Adobe Photoshop to edit image files for online use and publications.
– Becoming familiar with the artists, performers, and other arts organizations Machine has worked with over the past few years to facilitate the collection of raw material for the books.
Throughout the internship period, the intern will be required to interact with exhibiting artists and performers and be available to help produce and install events and exhibits alongside Machine Project staff. Interns will be encouraged to attend all events and exhibitions, as both a participant and audience member.
Interns will report to Machine Project in Echo Park, and work side-by-side with staff in the office, gallery, and classroom spaces at that location. A workstation with an Apple computer can be provided, though interns are encouraged to bring their own laptops if they own them.