Kimchi Workshop – Ingredients list
Please bring these ingredients and tools with you to class!
The Kimchi portion of Krautfest 09 begins at 12pm.
PLEASE NOTE: There’s food prep you have to do the night before class — see below.
Tools to bring:
Very large bowl (or other container to mix kimchi in)
1 large head of napa cabbage (salted per instructions below)
1 small daikon radish, shredded
1 small head of garlic, peeled
2 inch piece of ginger, peeled
½ bunch mustard greens (AKA: gat)
1 tbsp sugar
2 tsp salt
1 tbsp white rice, cooked
1 cup red chili pepper powder
Directions for salting cabbage the night before class:
1. Peel the leaves off the head of cabbage.
2. Dissolve ½ cup salt into 1 gallon of water in a very large bowl.
3. Place the cabbage leaves in the salt water, submerging as much as possible.
4. After an hour or two, flip the pile of leaves so that the bottom ones are on top. Let sit overnight.
5. In the morning, rinse and drain the cabbage before bringing to class.
If you have any questions before class please feel free to contact instructor Granny Choe at firstname.lastname@example.org.