Using Python (a popular and easy to use open source programming language), you will learn how to generate and modify jpegs, Quicktime movies, and MIDI files using small yet powerful programs that you write.
As your programming-fu increases in majesty, we will also discuss the various paradigms, philosophies and methdologies underlying the practice of writing code. Experience the power of working under the hood and gain a new understanding of how software generates media files. Great for beginners, no experience with computer programming needed. We’ll install the software we’ll use at our first meeting and make sure you’re ready for the class. W00t!
The class will include:
- Hands-on experience writing software to make images, animation, and sound
- The integration of media made by custom software within commercial packages
- A discussion of software programming as a cultural activity
- A theory of programming as it relates to our intuitive experience of problem solving
- A look at the assumptions we make when we use software
- The exploration of a theoretical framework for thinking critically about the use of computer software in art-making