Introduction to standards-based XHTML+CSS web design and basic content management using WordPress. You’ll begin with a blank page in a text editor and no idea what to do. You’ll end with a complete mastery over your own dynamic website, easily capable of managing thousands of individual pages.
You’ll need a laptop. We’ll be using free software which we will install on the first day. You’ll need to register a domain name and buy a basic web hosting account with the registrar and web host of your choice. We’ll go over how to do this during the workshop. Hosting and domain registration will cost approximately $10-$20 per year.
- Introduction to web editing tools (text editors, browsers, plugins)
- Domain registration and web hosting — how to
- An overview of (X)HTML
- Validation and why you should care
- Basic CSS concepts
- Web page layout and style
- Bugs: the inescapable horror of Internet Explorer
- Basic dynamic websites: PHP includes; basic content management: WordPress; installing and maintaining WordPress; how to create/customize a WordPress template
- Where to get help